First aid kit to have on hand just in case. Anyone have one for sale?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Carolyn252, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Carolyn252

Carolyn252 Mother of Chickens

I know that I can go online and order a bunch of supplies myself, but wonder if any of my fellow BYC members have thought of putting together a kit of basic stuff and offering it for sale.
    I'd be interested in buying such a kit if it were available. There are several lists on BYC as to what should be in such a kit. I'm not experienced enough with chicken-keeping to know which items to get and which are rarely needed. I only have three hens, so don't need a ton of stuff.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would stock poultry dust (and use it periodically in the coop) and BluKote for a minor injury, so the bird can stay with the flock. Wound care products I keep for myself anyway. Can't think of anything else I would stock, even for a much larger flock than 3 birds.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I've been working on my first aid kit for awhile now, the top of my list is Oxine, then poultry dust, wormers, I even have VetRX even though alot of people on here say it's no good. Also neosporin or generic, betadine, alcohol, poultry drench, electrolytes, I even have eye wash with boric acid. the list goes on.

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Now see, the second sentence is stuff I keep for me, or something similar, like in an emergency I'd use Gatorade for electrolytes. I have some wormer but will probably have to toss it and buy fresh next time. Homemade saline can be used for eye wash and can be made up in a few minutes; needs to be fresh anyway. I probably have some ophthalmic ointment lying around, bought for a dog or cat, but would use neosporin ointment in a pinch. I wouldn't put alcohol on anyone's broken skin. I prefer mild soap and water to clean a wound; doesn't kill tissue. I do like to keep peroxide to boil out a fresh deep dirty wound, but it goes out of date pretty fast, too. Examples of what I mean by, I have the stuff around for me anyway (and the grandkids.)

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    ddawn, neosporin can be put into the eyes? the alcohol is only for sterlization.

6. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yup, believe it or not, regular Neosporin ointment can. I wouldn't try the cream, nor would I try the one with pain reliever, only because I don't know for a fact that they would be OK. Learned this little trick from a vet.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks for the info I was going to buy som $20.00 stuff online for eyes but this sounds better.

8. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Oh, if you're using alcohol as for giving a shot, to clean the skin and bottle, you can use Betadine for this, too, just use it full strength. It was developed as a surgical scrub; I think they still use it for this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    good to know, why is betadine so expensive? here anyway.

10. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Iodine is a must! I've got 3 different kinds: Betadine, iodine tincture, and Nascent iodine. The last form is safe enough to be ingested (I use it for myself too); the first 2 forms may NOT be ingested.

The only ointment I use in eyes is: "Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Opthalmic Ointment", which you can buy from a vet.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by