1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MyPaperMoon512, Dec 20, 2013.

1. MyPaperMoon512

MyPaperMoon512 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm new to raising chickens, and I was wondering if I need to have an emergency first aid kit, and if so, what would be items that are must haves?

Do you keep medications on hand for worms, etc.? I want to keep my girls as happy and healthy as possible.

Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can have a few or many things in your first aid kit. For meds, I would recommend Corid (amprollium) either a packet of powder or small bottle of liquid to treat coccidiosis. For worms, Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer or horse paste, or for more money, Valbazen. It also gets tapeworm which isn't always needed. BluKote for spraying wounds to color them blue to prevent pecking and for antiseptic/antifungal. Neosporin or other brand of antibiotic ointment for wounds. Tylan50 injection with a few 22 gauge needles and syringes. Vet wrap and some gauze 2X2's for wounds or bumblefoot. Iodine (Povidone is good) or hibiclens for cleaning wounds.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Even though it's banned for use in food animals, I would suggest having a small bottle of generic 10% Baytril, it's probably one of the best broad-spectrum antibiotics and it can be used on cats and dogs, too. It is a *must* have for me and you should be able to get a small bottle without a prescription for about $20.

Safeguard (10% Fenbendazole) and Corid liquid are also must haves.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  4. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Hi there! I did this post awhile back and so far I haven't added to it other then what has been mentioned. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/842541/first-aid-kits-poultry#post_12471495

As with anything I'll add things to it when I find interesting tips here in the forums. A Friend told me, your animal first aid kit should only have the things that you are comfortable in using on your animals. The people on here are wonderful sources of information.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have:
    Corid
    Sulmet
    Vetrx
    Blu Kote
    Rooster Booster pick no more lotion
    Worming medicines
    Dog nail clippers
    Blood Stop powder
    antibiotic ointment
    vaseline
    extra heat lamp and bulb
    dog carrier
    dog cage
    cage cup and cage feeder
    antibiotic powder
    poly vi sol no iron
    eye dropper
    syringe
    poultry dust ( LOTS of poultry dust)
    permethrin spray
    poultry protector
    aspirin
    probiotic powder

I am sure there is more but I can't think of it.

7. MyPaperMoon512

MyPaperMoon512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the replies. I'm off to the store to get started on a kit.

8. AshVaz11

AshVaz11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    MA
    For the asprin how would I use it? Just put it in there water? If so how much

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Baby or low dose aspirin is what you can give.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by