1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Aid on hand

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ellie32526, Nov 24, 2012.

1. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Hello, Just want to get a box together of some helpful things I should keep on hand "Just in Case" one of my chicks gets sick. Any suggestions?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Not pain relief neosporin is always a good one to have on hand.

3. Demosthine

Demosthine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I don't have any personal experience with it, but I hear Nu-Stock works miracles, literally. I was reading BeeKissed's blog about her flock that she had given away. They ended up being severely mistreated and neglected, being in tear-jerking conditions. She used Nu-Stock liberally on them for a variety of ailments and she had absolutely wonderful success. I would strongly recommend everyone read her story from her blog. You can read it here. It's a rather long read, but I just couldn't stop until I knew most of the girls had recovered well.

Most of the old-timers seem to say no to medications and treatment. Simple flock maintenance appears to work wonders at keeping all of the ailments away. You might check the couple of old-timer threads that are active. They are fascinating reads.

The book I've found most helpful so far is Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens: Care, Feeding, Facilties by Gail Damerow. There is a chapter dedicated to Health Care, including: biosecurity; parasites; health, disease and disease resistance; poisons and other hazards; and first aid. In the first aid section, she lists the following items to have on hand:
    • Saline-solution wound wash
    • Hydrogen peroxide for flushing out really dirty wounds
    • Gauze pads to mop out a cleaned wound
    • Tweezers to pick dirt and debris out of a wound
    • Povidone-iodine antiseptic, such as Betadine, for disinfecting wounds
    • A syringe for squirting saline solution or Betadine into a wound
    • Wound powder, such as Wonder Dust, to stop bleeding
    • Antibiotic ointment, such as Neosporin, for dry wounds
    • Antimicrobial powder, such as McKillips, for oozing wounds
    • A thick ointment such as Desitin (zinc oxide) or Ichthammol for removing nfected scabs
    • Pipe cleaners for splinting broken toes
    • Tongue depressors, Popsicle sticks, lollipop sticks, stiff paper or cardboard, or short lengths of water hose for splinting broken legs
    • Vetrap or rolled gauze to cushion splint
    • First-aid tape, Vetrap, or shipping tape to hold splint in place
    • A broad-spectrum antibiotic such as Terramycin (oxytetracycline) or Aureomycin (chlortetracycline), if your vet doesn't know how to, or won't, treat chickens
    • Electrolyte powder to replenish electrolytes in stressed birds
    • Petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline, to protect combs from frostbite
    • Water-based lubricant such as K-Y Jelly for treating an egg-bound pullet
    • Hemorrhoid cream, such as Preparation H, for treating prolapse
    • Sandwich or snack-size plastic zip bags for collecting suspicious droppings to take to a vet for examination
    • Paper towels to wipe up whatever needs wiping
    • Old towels to wrap and restrain a chicken that requires treatment
    • A clean container to hold everything

Hope that helps!

3 people like this.
  4. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Wow! That's a pretty extensive list. Thank you. I do have some of these items already so not too much expense, but good to know. I will get to work on collecting these.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by