1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First alert incident.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bakerjw, Nov 5, 2010.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I was working in the upstairs part of our house late yesterday afternoon when I heard the "chicklets" start raising a ruckess. I thought that I heard a cat growling in the midst of it so I grabbed a rifle and headed out the door to take care of the situation as needed. My son was next door at my mother in law's house which is where they were ranging when this all occurred and he met me outside. There were no signs of predators in the air and no feathers anywhere but 7 of the 9 chicklets were terrified and hiding under bushes. The 2 that were missing were 2 of my Silver Sebright hens that I adore. I walked the property looking for signs of feathers or perhaps a cat, dog, or fox slinking around but didn't find anything.

I finally made my way back to where most of the chicklets were cowering and was able to assure them that things were kind of okay and they finally followed me out to their coop. Some kind of small hawk ended up flying overhead which sent them into a mild panic with the big White Leghorn roos crowing their alarm sound. It was the first time that I've ever heard it but I had no doubt what it was the first time that I did hear it. After a while the 2 missing SS hens came out from under a bush on the hillside and ran into the coop all safe and secure.

The whole while the girls on the hill (my 8 TSC pullets) were tucked under some bushes and stayed quiet as can be which is unusual for them. Normally when they see me out in the yard they are whimpering and whining for their rooster to give them feed or treats. Of course their rooster, me, is always up to the task with something for them.

Most people here been around chickens longer than I but I wanted to share my first "Warning" incident. I am just glad as can be that my roos are more observant than they seem.

2. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

mine run for cover several times a day

3. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    You can always tell that something is up when the noisy ones become quiet... LOL
    Glad that everyone ended up safe! [​IMG]

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    My 8 hens have been very jumpy ever since the hawk attacked them.I thought they would forget quickly,but they are very jumpy.They run to the shed when they see ANY bird flying over them.I often hear them *talking* and looking upward with one eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by