First Amerecana egg - Its Brown!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goosemama, Sep 12, 2009.

1. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    The first of my 5 month old Amerecana pullets has begun to lay - a tiny brown egg. I have one Amerecana laying for a year and her eggs are pale green and have been since the very first one. A friend shared my Amerecana chick order and she writes today they had their first egg and it was brown too. Anyone have any ideas? The shell color will not change will it? Do you think we were sold not pure Amerecana's but crosses? They sure look the part with their ear tufts etc. Anyone have similar experiences?

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Americaunas from hatcheries are mixed breeds (EE's)
    and will vary in egg color all depending on the mix

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Looks like you got EE's.

There are NO Amercuanas or Araucanas in hatcheries, they only have EE's.

4. MaggieMay'sMom

MaggieMay'sMom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    N.California
    I also have Americaunas, 21 weeks. I thought my RIR rooster ( long story ) ,who has not started crowing was a hen. Now I find out Americaunas can lay brown eggs!!

Sorry, I am new to this, what is an EE?

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    spelled Ameraucana............ They are a pure breed

ee's are when you breed an Ameraucana to another bird. They are Easter Eggers cause they can give you light brown, oink, mint or blue eggs. Making them a mixed breed

6. Capone

Capone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Rhode Island
    ee;s are easter egger;s

7. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    EE is easter egger. they are grouped this way. it is a mixed breed, no 'pure' genes thus if the dominant gene is a brown layer...your americanaus isn't a pure breed.

8. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, you got yourself an Easter Egger there. They've taken Ameraucanas and bred them to brown layers to get the blue egg darker or green in color so this gives you a flock of multi-colored birds who lay any shade from pale pink to blue, blue-green, green or brown. You can see by my avatar that my EE little girlie was an Ameraucana bred with a Buff Orp. I have EEs who definitely have Rhode Island Red breeding and a couple of gorgeous girlies who have Black Austrolorp and some kind of splash something. Personally, I prefer the EEs but that's just me.

9. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    Farmerlor! yes, me too! They are so different and so colorful and lay such a beautiful egg. Love the EE's!!!!

10. MaggieMay'sMom

MaggieMay'sMom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    N.California
    Thanks for the info.

Farmerlor your EE looks just like 2 of mine. The man I bought them from said they were wheaten ameraucana's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by