First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon- Join us! Set Day: Easter

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChooksChick, Mar 18, 2012.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Welcome!

Many of you will be familiar with other hatchalongs or will have even participated. This year, as hundreds of us in Mahonri's 4th Annual Easter Hatchalong have chatted, many of us expressed a desire to hatch Turkeys. This will be my first time! It takes a month to hatch a Turkey, so it's a bit more of a marathon than chicks...thus, it's the First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon!

Please join us if you are hatching anything, but in particular, Turkeys!

Our set day will be Easter, for a Cinco de Mayo hatch. This is perfect for growing out for Thanksgiving, if so inclined, and will be in perfect season for abundant eggs from BYC and local Turkey breeders.

So, you have roughly 3 weeks to get an incubator ready, acquire eggs, and sweet talk your spouse before we set!

PM me if you want to join in as there are sure to be a few contests and prizes, and we can keep a tally of the number of participants!

If you HAVE Turkeys and wish to offer eggs up to participants without, please do!

First Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon Participants

AK Michelle
    HortonFarms
    dsqard
    debs_flock
    mlmddh
    JessShan8
    Wisher1000
    Zookeeper15133
    HortonFarms
    SuperChemicalGirl
    CrazyPetLady
    Thebirdguy
    EnnisLakeFarm
    grasspack
    Noncentzter
    Wyogirl
    Karimw
    NotAFarm
    Wolftracks
    Arielle
    Gryeyes
    XchickieX
    cmfarm

craz e laid e
    c
    oz74
    MrHeinz77
    HappyAcresKY
    yinepu
    Iwarfield
    WVstruttin
    Pele
    chick-among-us
    dinahmoe

Welcome Turkey Lurkers

viejo loco

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    I'm in and if we are lucky, I may even have some eggs to sell. I have mostly Black Spanish so those are the ones I might have extras of. PM me if you are interested..

Just a suggestion based on my experience... I would plan on setting some chicken eggs exactly one week after you set your turkey eggs so that they will hatch at the same time.. I have had the best success raising poults when they were raised together with chicks from day 1. Besides, it's the perfect excuse to hatch a few more chicks!!! But Dear, we want the turkeys to do well don't we???? [​IMG]

3. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Not that most of us need any encouragement...

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    [​IMG]

5. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in

Now I need to find some turkey eggs!!

Anybody want to trade some turkey eggs for some Serama or Amer. eggs? If so please let me know.

6. coz74

coz74 Underground chicken enabler

Aug 22, 2011
    S.E. Wisconsin
    If I can find some eggs I will be in. It will give me like 1 day to ready the incubator. This is not an official "I'm in" but rather "I'm looking".

7. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Added a few more names- make sure you get your eggs squared away, and if you have eggs to offer, please post and let us know! Pics are always good.

8. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    Just finished building a hatcher so my incubator can be cleaned and sanitized for this hatch-along. Can't wait![​IMG]

9. EnnisLakeFarm

EnnisLakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    I am in!
    Now to find some Turkey eggs. I am torn between Royal Palm and Midget White.

10. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    I can't join but I'll follow along..
    I am a little ahead of you, here's what I have... I set 15 Midget white turkey eggs on March 11th, I just candled tonight day 16, and all are nice & solid with a good air cell, one is clear. So if all goes has planned April 6 thru 8th is my hatching window. I am using for the 1st time a Brinsea Oct20 with auto turner, and have been keeping my humdity in the 30 - 40% range only adding small amounts of water to keep it there..so sort of a dry incubation. Will post pictures once the midgets
    start hatching !!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by