First attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chainsaw385, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Chainsaw385

Chainsaw385 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2010
    Came home from a dinner and went down to gather eggs............one hen had all her tail feathers ripped out with some bleeding.The other chickens of course were pecking the blood.

She was walking a little gingerly but was still moving around pretty good and eating the feed I threw out.I have her isolated to give the wounds time to heal.It was a 4 legged predator for sure by the wounds.

I might have one chicken missing .............. they will be scattered all around unill roost time then I'll know.

Surprised I made it this long with all 18 with all kind of chicken eating animals around my place.

Not ready to lock them down yet.......my guess is a strange dog passing thru unless 1 is missing that would lead me to believe a fox,coon,fisher or coyote because I would think that with no one home a wild predator would not give up with only a mouthfull of tail feathers from one chicken.

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Sounds like a coon or possum.

3. Chainsaw385

Chainsaw385 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2010
    hope it was a possum......easier to find and kill them.

Lost a chicken so I will be hunting tomorrow.

Funny none of the others were skittish............but they go off in their sub-groups sometimes and possibly didn't even know some of the flock was attacked.

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I hope you find him and rock his little world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by