first attempt at candling. Not sure what i saw. PICS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by boykin2010, Feb 20, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Ok so long story short i was given about 30 chicken eggs of all different breeds and 2 turkey eggs for valentines day and they are in my incubator. I have never hatched chicks before so i have been researching. I set the turkey eggs on the 15th and i set the chicken eggs on the 16th. I think that you dont count the first day i put them in there right. So since today is feb 20th so the eggs would be 4 days old?

I know i am supposed to candle around day 7 and 14 but i couldnt stand so i took about 4 chicken eggs and the 2 turkey eggs out to candle them.
    Since i am a newbie i wasnt really sure what i was looking for but i have read about cupping your hands around the eggs and shining the light into the egg.
    I did that and the chicken eggs for the most part had these spots all on the side of them. On the bantam egg i did it was clear-ish until the bottom of the egg when it got darker. I think this is because it hadnt been turned enough because it is so small i dont think the turner has been moving. Oh and if this helps my incubator is LG and i have an automatic turner.

Can someone please tell me any helpful hints on candling or direct me to another thread on here that has that info.
    Also, is it normal to see those spots on day 4 eggs? Please let me know.

Here is the pic of the first egg i candled.

[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That looks porous to me. I see no veins but the pic is blurry. Did you see any veining at all?

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:Agreed...

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Those "spots" are pores in the shell. I've read that hatch rates are lower in very porous eggs. That egg in your photo qualifies as very porous and I don't see any development in that egg from that photo, which looks like a great candling picture to me.

I usually hold the egg with the air cell pointing toward the flashlight and the small end of the egg up towards the ceiling. I think I get a better read on things that way.

Here's a link to a thread of mine, in which I included lots of candling photos. I hope it helps. Good luck!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=375989

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  5. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    That was the most porous egg i candled. I dont think i saw any veining but then again i wasnt looking that hard. Do you usually see veining at day 4?

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yuppers, that's a porous, infertile egg.

7. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Experianced candlers can see veining on day 4, but I can remember my first time I had no idea what I was looking for and had a hard time, but candle again in a few days and by then you will see something if they are infact growing.

8. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:You would definitely see veining by day 4 and generally can by day 3. These are all photos from Hamburg eggs (white eggs) candled on day 4:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Those are white eggs with a very bright light. Not seeing that so early is not a bad sign, just absence of a good one. Assume there still good.

10. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    FYI: I was only using a 4 inch, LED flashlight from The Home Depot. Nothing fancy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by