First Attempt at Hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RedTailRanch, Jan 13, 2009.

1. RedTailRanch

RedTailRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    My Coop
    I got my first incubator for Christmas (R-com mini) and put three eggs in it on Christmas Day.

One egg did not develop (not fertile) but the other two have been doing fine, according to my weak attempt at candleing.

The eggs are from my own chickens (that I got as day old chicks last March). For those of you that remember...they were from the "bad batches" that MM sent out, but that's a different story.

Anyway...since I have only been keeping chickens for less than a year, and have never hatched eggs before, I am very nervous.

The eggs are on day 19/20 (put them in the bator around 3pm on Christmas Day). The bator automatically shut off the turning yesterday late afternoon. Today I went in to put the protective, non slip flooring in the bator...AND THERE WAS CHIRPING!

I didn't expect that until at least tomorrow. I assume that this is normal from what I can find in my books, but I just want to make sure. How can they have enough air to survive until they pip tomorrow or thursday!?

I'm very excited, but scared to death!

Thanks,
    Chris

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Its normal, mine can peep for 2-3 days before hatching, Good luck, you will have a pip soon!

3. RedTailRanch

RedTailRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    My Coop
    Thanks Willow! That helps!

I am looking forward to seeing what comes out, since I have a multi-breed flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by