first attempt - LOTS of ?'s

rosyposyosy

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
I got eggs for my broody, but my broody isn't broody anymore :mad: . I made my own incubator with a thick tupperware container, a light bulb, metal netted cup, and a dimmer. I have 2 thermometers in there. I do not have a wire floor - do I need to? What temperature should the incubator be at all times? humidity? I know to turn 3 times a day, stop turning on 18, crank up the humidity, but to what? Tonight during a test drive, my temperature stayed steady at 100.5 degrees, but the humidity would change like crazy. It would be 30, and then 90. I did try fixing the water amount, many times, but it is really inconsistent. Will it be different once I get the eggs, since eggs have moisture?

thank you for answering any of my many questions.

where would I get a good wire rack to put in there? I don't have any chicken wire left... Or wire for that matter.

temp at 100.5 will be fine, and I am assuming it is a still air system.

40 - 50 % humidity moved up to 70 - 75% day 18 on.

Humidity swings like that .... hmmmm .... Is the incubator in a kitchen or next to a washroom? In an area where air flow changes quickly enough to force air over and under the incubator? Close to a heat duct? Many things we often never think of can cause swings like that.

You don't need a wire floor.

Do you have a pic of your incubator and where it is? Maybe some of us could figure out your problem from that.

How long were you giving it between water adjustments to get a humidity reading. Maybe try putting some water in and waiting several hours to settle then increasing your water level. If you take a reading too quickly after you have made a water adjustment, you could get swings like that.

Also do you have an air hole or two?..those help with air flow and humidity.....you can always plug or unplug them...

i waited an hour each time. I will post pics of it when I get home. I think I drilled to big of a hole in the top though...

edited to add I have 3 holes, 2 small/normal, and one really big one.

Last edited:
Rosy, you can always cover part of the big hole with gorilla tape or duct tape if you think thats where your problem is....and take it off and on as you try to get things regulated..

wont that fumble with the tempature as well? I'm only trying to change the humidity to 50.

nevermind, I get it. No more airflow = nothing gets messed up (kinda.)

Last edited:
If things are working right with it that big leave it alone.....thought that might be where your humidity was being off at...the temp is right on?...

LOL...you will get it right....

Last edited:
My 1588 takes much longer than an hour to fully adjust after adding/removing water. Try waiting 2 -3 hours and you will have a much better idea of what the true humidity is. And after you add the eggs, mine took several hours to get up to running speed both with temps and humidity.

Back
Top Bottom