first babies ever, not really sure what i'm doing... (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by akaxo, Nov 14, 2010.

1. akaxo

akaxo Chillin' With My Peeps

so we had a silkie who was pretty set on staying broody a while ago. no matter how much i tried to convince her otherwise she was determined to hatch some old peach stones under our peach tree. to cut a long story short, she ended up winning that battle so i conceded and bought her some fertile eggs after making her a place she could raise them in peace.

just over three weeks later and after a few accidents where eggs got broken somehow [​IMG] we have two little babies this morning!!

first one hatched:
    [​IMG]

and number two:
    [​IMG]

and with their surrogate mother:
    [​IMG]

and a couple of nosey busy bodies who wanted to know all about what was going on:
    [​IMG]

this is the first time looking after little ones for me, they seem healthy and i've got them fenced off away from any of the other animals. they're currently snuggled up under mum. they have water and some chick starter crumble that i bought at the same time i got the eggs. is it just a matter of letting nature take it's course now? will the mother make sure they get out and eat and drink or will i have to make sure that happens myself? i haven't seen them outside of the nest at all today but then again i haven't been watching them all day either.

it's all so new and exciting [​IMG]

and i got to ring my fiancée at work this morning and tell her she's now a grandmother

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The mom will teach them all they need to know. Keep food & water down, & watch the show. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    OMG, Adorable!!! I've never raised babies with a mother, but I would think she'll know what to do -- Mama's have been raising them without our help forever and ever. I commend you for not watching them all day -- I'd have had my nose in there right where it doesn't belong.

I guess the thing to do is take a peek every now and then and see that they are safe and healthy. I love the picture of the two biddies who just know something's up.

Do keep us posted.

Jenny

4. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    She might not take them out for the first couple of days. Sounds like everything is going good. Let momma do her thing.

5. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    That's so sweet! I think she'll know what to do. :)

6. akaxo

oh cool that's easy, i'll just trust diedre the silkie looking after them to know and do what's best. even if she hasn't always seemed like the brightest spark at times [​IMG]

and yes i think if i didn't have a fair bit to do today i may well have spent most the day so far watching them. despite not really being able to see anything in there.

thanks heaps for comments!

7. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Congratz on the babies and the engagement. Sounds like a fun filled day.

8. akaxo

thanks!! yes was quite an eventful day.

i had it arranged for a friend of ours to take these babies when they grow up enough but i got told last night that they are far too cute to give away [​IMG]

9. akaxo

they all came out for a feed not long ago [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup, and it's an amazing experience to witness. The chicks are so happy with a mother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by