1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First babies!!!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Curtiejlee, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Curtiejlee

Curtiejlee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    First baby of the year hatched today!!!!! 2nd on the way! They are owl mix x utility king.
    [​IMG]
    They got dads short beak and I think they're gonna be white.

1 person likes this.
  2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    oooow...very exciting. Look good... I think they will be white... as that chick is mostly bright yellow.

Look forward to some more photos as they grow.

3. Curtiejlee

May 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    All the chicks are born yellow. I can tell if they're gonna be white by the beak color , pink means either white or white on face. The other one hatched today!!![​IMG]
    Their mom and dad are white, so that's a real hint too! Their dad has made some grey and greyish-reddish babies though!

4. Curtiejlee

May 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    Beak colors look the same their whole life and can give clues to adult coloration![​IMG]
    And as an adult
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  5. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Yes.. pink skin.. and pink beak.. together with bright yellow down usually means the chicks will turn out to be white.

However, I have many coloured pigeons.. black and red.. and they also have pink beaks.

My favourite pigeon is a 'mutt', where the female white fantail cheated on her mate with an old Dutch Capuchin.

The resulting pigeon has one black eye, one yellow eye and a white head with a black body. He also has a huge tail with a big white bar down the centre. I was going to sell him as I do not want mixed breeds in my loft... but he is just so cute and friendly.. and unique looking too.

Breeding and keeping pigeons is such fun!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by