First baby chick for my broody hen :)

JackieTS

Chirping
Jul 23, 2020
I have a silkie that just hatched her first
babyšŸ˜Š It is so exciting!
She is part of her flock and I kept her in with them all the whole time she has been sitting on the eggs. She stays in this one nesting box and the other girls donā€™t bother her at all
Will the other hens hurt this new baby?
Thank you all!

Mine never do. I typically have three or four hens incubate and hatch with the flock and then raise the chicks with the flock each year. My broody hens protect their chicks from the other hens when they need to. Most of the time the other hens don't cause any problems but if Mama thinks one is a threat to her babies she whips butt. None of them wants to face a mad broody hen.

I can't give you any guarantees with living animals. Anything can happen. But I've never had any problems when a broody hen incubates and hatches with the flock.

Mine never do. I typically have three or four hens incubate and hatch with the flock and then raise the chicks with the flock each year. My broody hens protect their chicks from the other hens when they need to. Most of the time the other hens don't cause any problems but if Mama thinks one is a threat to her babies she whips butt. None of them wants to face a mad broody hen.

I can't give you any guarantees with living animals. Anything can happen. But I've never had any problems when a broody hen incubates and hatches with the flock.
Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom