First baby I hatched

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CoopedChik, Dec 21, 2011.

1. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    [​IMG]

I'm still working with the photos on here so I figured I'd post my pictures of my very first quail chick from the summer.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    too cute, what does it look like now? red or tibetan?

3. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Quote:She grew up to be tibetan like her daddy.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Gosh, so tiny!

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    It looks like a wild pattern brown chick to me. Sorry, but do you have a current pic of the bird right now? Your interpretation of "Tibetan" may not be correct. "Tibetan" is a wild pattern tan/golden bird. They are not from Tibet...it's a mix of the words Tibe Tan, and is generally referred to as a "Golden/Tan" wild pattern bird. There is a wide range of color variations within this color/pattern.

6. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Quote:Nope it's a one of my Coturnix quail, aka meat birds. I breed them to have beautiful feathering for their hides to be tanned after their butchered so I don't bother taking adult photos after they get pass the chick age when they don't really need me any more I let them turn a little feral so, no I don't take pictures of them after they grow up. I should though some day just to show their feathering.

7. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    What do you do with the tanned hides? And how do you tan the hides? When you skin them, do skin with a single cut down the breast or do you sock them like you would a coon for a coon skin cap?

always looking for more ideas...waste not, want not...

Thanks

8. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Congrats...........

9. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Quote:after you've, done the deed, and while cleaning them after removing the head I cut down the spine with some meat shears and just pull the meat right out of the hide with my fingers very quick and simple not even messy at all. Then to tan them just put borax on the flesh side. let it sit for a few hours and you have a nice tanned hide very quick and very nice to have.

If that doesn't help here is the link to a very nice youtube video where I learned how to do it. Never skinned an animal in my life and after seeing that video I've been confident in all my bird's skinning and never messed up once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by