First baby quail hatched

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kathydoolittle, Jan 19, 2011.

1. kathydoolittle

kathydoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    Last nite i had 2 little quail hatch first one died within seconds of hatching. The next one appears to be fine. But lonely. If i put one of my females in with it. Will it kill the little one? I hope i have more hatch tonite. Thanks for your input.

2. AMBene

AMBene Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Slidell
    I don't know the answer to your question. I'm a newbie! But Congrats on the baby! and I am sorry for the one you lost.

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I wouldn't trust another older bird in there. What kind of quail are they?
    Do you have more eggs in the bator that you're waiting to hatch?
    A lot of people put a fluffy small stuffed animal in with a lone baby , you might try that tactic until another hatches.

4. kathydoolittle

kathydoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    it is coturnix quail. Yes i have more in the bator. My husband put what ever they laid on day in. I finally made him stop. Told him i want to wait and put several days worth in a time not daily. He always wants me to stay up when ever something is hatching until the hatching is over. That make for some long days. Lol but im not doing it for sixteen days. Thanks for your advice.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    This works for ducks and chickens so it should work for quail...

Put a little mirror in the brooder and attach it to the side wall. Also get yourself a duster made out of turkey feathers. Tape that to the side of the brooder and leave just enough of a gap underneath it so the quail chick can hide underneath. Bingo! You now have a "surrogate mom" and some "hatch mates" for your lone quail.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Coturnix chicks do fine alone. Just give it ample heat and a towel to cuddle in and you are set. My first Coturnix was given to me and I only had one...so just TLC...

7. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Yes, I agree. Coturnix tend to do just fine on their own, but they do better in packs [​IMG]

To the OP...Remove any chicks from the bator when they are dry, and put them in a (SPECIES ONLY BROODER) where the "HOT SPOT" is 100 deg F. Put a game chick water fount just outside the hot spot. Then put a never ending buffet of high protein Game Bird Starter within their grasp. "Hint" If they are sleeping on their food...It ain't to close [​IMG]

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    X 3....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by