First Baby Slugs LOL

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Feb 11, 2012.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Went out to let the ducks free range for a while this morning. You know you are taking the "duck thing" too far when you see your first baby slugs for the season and get excited and have to scoop them up to give them to the most spoiled duck in the flock! LOL

2. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    don't feel bad i do the same thing.
    on really warm days i turn a few things over to look for worms for the babies.
    and then feel bad when they are "yelling" at me for more but i can't find any.

3. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Yeah, well it is cold and raining here. And I still spent the last two hours outside letting the ducks free range and picking up slugs when I found them. Crazy duck lady.....[​IMG]

4. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    If there are enough of us crazy people does that cancel out the crazy? Or just make it worse... I've been digging in new raspberry beds for the spring and I make sure to have a bucket nearby to toss all the worms, grubs, and other edibles in. Yesterday the ducks could see me digging in the dirt and started yelling at me to let them out of their pen. I did it once and now I'm having to let them out every day I go outside and work.

Also, no fair on just now getting baby slugs! With this mild wet winter we've had I've been seeing slugs like crazy. It's going to be an uphill battle to grow any greens this spring.

5. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Well, we had 12 inches of snow a few weeks ago, so the slugs are a bit slow to start! LOL We will get our share, believe me! Good old Pacific Northwest!

Slug should be named one of our state symbols ....oddly, I checked, it isn't! Just popular opinion.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  6. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    So what the thread should really be called is "the only slugs of the season"? LOL!!

7. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    Woohoo Slugs!!! I'm jealous, none here yet! The reason we got runners was to get rid of the slugs, and boy do they do a great job! I used to hate them, but now I get excited when I see them, because the I know the ducks enjoy them so. I'm glad I'm not the only crazy person who likes slugs, worms, and grubs! [​IMG]

8. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I am a gardener, and I seriously hate slugs. At least I did. (Used to have a special pair of shoes to step on them with) Now they make the ducks happy...so..... Love those silly ducks. Now if I could just convince the ducks to go in the veggie garden area and get the slug eggs, baby slugs, and buggies that will eat my veggies....they are scared of that area for some reason....so much for the real reason I got the ducks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by