First baby two days early

ChickenChik

Songster
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Kinsey, Alabama
This is DH's and my first hatching experience. We place 26 eggs in the incubator (everything from Silkies to RIRs). We only had to toss one that had a crack!!! We placed our eggs into lockdown on Saturday thinking "okay it is day 18 we still have 3 days to wait" WRONG!!! We were gone all day yesterday building a new brooder (
lol.png
) at a friend's house! When we got home, I went to feed the dogs and I walked past the incubator only to see that WE HAD OUR FIRST BABY!!! It had to have happened within about 4 hours. We had no other pips last night and we had one pip this morning but then I had to leave. And when I left this morning he was resting but looked great and he was drying out very well. Is this normal to have one hatch so much earlier than the rest? PLEASE HELP A ROOKIE!

Sounds like there may have been an extra warm spot in the bator. Did you use a still air model? That is pretty typical in those.

According to a University of Virginia paper I read, genetics can play a bit in how early or late they hatch, but the biggest factor is incubating temperature. If the temperature is a bit high, they hatch early. If it is a bit cool, they hatch later. If you have a forced air incubator and it is working properly (not all are as good as they should be) the temperature should be pretty consistent throughout the incubator and they should all hatch within a day or so of each other. If you have an incubator that does not keep the temperature consistent throughout, yes, the hatch can be staggered.

Remember a chick can go three days without eating or drinking. That is why they can be mailed. You do not have to be in a big hurry to get them out of the incubator.

I advise patience, even if it is a forced air incubator. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom