First Backyard Flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by scrambledkegs, Jan 31, 2014.

1. scrambledkegs

scrambledkegs New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    Beaverton, OR
    So after some short convincing I talked my wife into getting chickens. We just picked up 6 chicks about three days ago. Two Jersey Black Giants, two Buff Orpingtons, and two Amerucanas. I'll post some pictures soon. We have them in a self made storage tub brooder for now but I have a feeling they will outgrow it soon. After a few days of using the 250w red heat lamp my wife became concerned with its safty, even though I have it fully secured by a chain from the celing. So she put me into the ecoglow. Although I was sure the heat lamp was fine, I did have to admit that the ecoglow is way safer. We just switched to the ecoglow last night, day 4, and man what a difference. The chicks seem way more calm and love sleeping under it. It did take me shoving all six under it to show them how to use it, but after one trip they knew what to do.

2. scrambledkegs

scrambledkegs New Egg

Jan 31, 2014
    Beaverton, OR
    Oh I also started construction on our run but still have a long way to go. Good thing I have about 6 weeks! I was planing on a 5'x18' run do to where I want to put it but might bump it up to 6'x18'. What do you guys think? This is my first time having chickens. Also the coop will be in the middle of the run, off the ground so the chickens have more run space. I was planing on 14x14 hen boxes to accommodate the Jersey giants but again I don't know any better so any input would be much appreciated.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you onboard with us [​IMG]

Now the fun begins [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of my EE's

[​IMG]

Inside my brooder [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Yes, I have heard those Eco glow brooder lights are excellent for brooding babies. I would go as big as you can build on everything. Not only will the birds appreciate the space, but eventually you are going to want MORE birds!! Happens to everyone! LOL For Jersey Giants, you will need nest boxes at least 15x15, maybe 16x16. They are large birds and a 14x14 might be a bit tight. Might fray the tail feathers, crush eggs and such.

Good luck with your new flock and enjoy BYC!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a nice little flock there. X3 more room is usually better (especially if chicken math takes hold) so might as well make the run as big as you can. With the nest boxes, like TwoCrows said, Giants or other really big breeds appreciate 16x16 or 18x18 nest boxes, I have various sizes of nest boxes, and the couple of big hens I have always go for the biggest boxes.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Bigger is better, build a coop and chickens will come, and come and come. I think you get the idea. Chicken addiction is a given- nothing but enablers at BYC. Resistance is futile. I'm sure you will enjoy your birds.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck to you :)

8. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by