First bad hatch /cry

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Apr 5, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Well Now I am scared with my other shipped eggs. This last hatch I got 24 eggs and 11 survived to day 18, as of day 23 only 3 had hatched , I dont know I just had this wierd feeling so I looked at the eggs no pips I whisled to them listhened to the bator with a sthethscope and then candled and listened to all the eggs, Nothing. so I broke a little hole in the top of eatch one the first 7 had dead babies that seemed fully formed but had died at some point befor piping the air cell. The last egg there was a beak in the air cell I thought it had died but then it moved its beak. I put it back into the bator after about 6 hours I went to peak and it was still exactly how I left it. Sometimes just slowly moveing its beak. Now I dont want to get any lectures from anyone but I decided to help a little. I plealed of the top of the egg , just about half wet the membrane though it seemed pretty ok and layed it back into the bator. I checked on it about an hour ago and I have a baby , I dont expect much he mostly just lays there , but maybe he has a chance.
    Do you think this was beauce of the abuse the eggs sufferd in shipping and because they had detached air cells or what? from what I could tell of the dead ones they looked alright they just didnt hatch , no funky colors not large amount of blood or slime .

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm guessing a humidity or temp problem.

I'm starting my second hatch now so we'll see if I can do any better. I only got 12 of 41 last time.

3. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    My first was one egg set one egg hatched
    My second was 14 eggs set 13 hatched but one baby died at 2 days
    This is my third and IF the fourth baby lives it will be 24 set 4 hatched though alot of them never grew but 11 made it to day 18.
    Im so sad
    And nervous I have 3 more sets of eggs in my bator one set goes to the hatcher tammrow night ...

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If they're hatching late it could be a temp issue.

5. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I did have a couple of temp issues on around day 14 with them or so but they were fine on day 18 and the rest of the eggs seem fine, I think I would much rather them quit befor day 18 this opening the eggs and finding babies that should have been able to make it is horrifying.

6. I'vegotchickenfever

I'vegotchickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Northwest Florida
    This is my third and IF the fourth baby lives it will be 24 set 4 hatched

[​IMG] I'm sorry for you. You're always so helpful when someone else needs advice, and I'm afraid I have none for you. I did have a question though, did the eggs come from the same or different sources? Could that have anything to do with the hatch rate?
    For me - hatching is such an emotional experience - hope you feel better soon. [​IMG]

7. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    i'm sorry to hear about your loss, We have just put out first batch of 24 in the bator, mybe you'll have better luck with your next batch. Here's hoping for ya.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Try, try again! Don't give up! [​IMG]

9. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I'vegotchickenfever :

This is my third and IF the fourth baby lives it will be 24 set 4 hatched

[​IMG] I'm sorry for you. You're always so helpful when someone else needs advice, and I'm afraid I have none for you. I did have a question though, did the eggs come from the same or different sources? Could that have anything to do with the hatch rate?
    For me - hatching is such an emotional experience - hope you feel better soon. [​IMG]

My first two hatches came from a local girl , ironicly I thought they woudnt be to good cause one was cracked and all were washed wich is sapose to be a no no and they were about a week old when I put them in the bator , this batch came from NH shipped.
    Its so hard to tell what can be becuase of shipping damage and what can be because of hatcher or bator issues and what could be chick issues [​IMG]

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Probably not a bad idea to set a few of your eggs every time you set shipped eggs. That way you know by using your eggs as a guide weather you did something wrong or it was a shipping issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by