First Bantam Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jloeffler, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Yea! We have several bantams which I adopted from a local breeder who wanted to limit plots she was breeding. They were supposedly around six months and none were laying. Well, todayi wasn't even looking for an egg, but I found one just the same! First eggs are so exciting I just had to share! Thanks for letting me!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Congrats on that first tiny egg!! I got my first bantam egg about two weeks ago, so I know that feeling [​IMG]

3. Jloeffler

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Thanks and belated congratulations to you too! What do you do with your bantam eggs?I was planning on eating them, but when I said that my husband looked at me like I was nuts!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

LOL - I'm so goofy...I've been stockpiling them!! I wanted a full dozen to put in (notice I didn't say "fill") an egg carton. But just this evening I fried my husband two of them (we're breakfast for dinner people)... [​IMG] They made perfect little fried eggs [​IMG] I have three bantams, and bantam #2 started laying a week after bantam #1 - so now I've got two tiny eggs being produced. Tell you DH that my DH said they were DELICIOUS (but that it'd take about 2.5 of them to equal one large egg...lol). He said we won't have to worry about watching our weight if we just eat the banty eggs...hehee.

5. Jloeffler

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    [​IMG] sounds great! Breakfast for dinner is one of my kids favorite! DH says it'd take three dozen just to make one meal for us! I say, hope the other two bantam hens start laying soon then!! [​IMG] they look so cute in the egg carton next to my LF x hens eggs!

6. butterflygardener

butterflygardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    SW Oregon
    Congratulations! We got our first bantam egg yesterday [​IMG] from my little EE pullet. She is the first to lay an egg out of this year's chicks. A little blue-green egg! She is our only bantam pullet. beat out the big girls!

7. Jloeffler

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    How exciting and congratulations, Butterfly! It's so amazing that such a tiny little egg can cause so much excitement!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by