first bantam egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paddyg84, Feb 25, 2014.

1. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Got my two bantams in november and got ny first egg from them today but unfortunately she laid it on gravel outside the coop which meant it cracked and the others ate it. Firstly do u reckon she will catch on and go to the nest box soon, also is this ebough to give the others a taste for egg eating as i have never had a problem with it.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on that first egg, sorry it got eaten, hopefully she will lay the others where she is supposed to. Have you seen her checking out the nesting boxes? Pullets a lot of times don't really know what is going on and will lay their first eggs in various places or just drop them randomly, even if they were rummaging in the nesting boxes before... most of the time they do figure out what to do pretty fast. Make sure your next boxes are attractive to a chicken, dark, secluded, fake eggs, easy to get into, plenty of bedding etc. You could try keeping them locked in the coop in the morning so they aren't running around outside, especially if you see a pullet thinking about laying.
    One broken egg found outside shouldn't turn them into egg eaters, but obviously I would try to avoid them getting anymore...

3. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Thanks. Well i reckon i was only 5 mins too late. It was laid at about 1pm so wouldnt keep them in that long. There were 4 eggs in nest box this morning so she will have seen others laying there. It is easily accessible, has fake eggs and bedding. Reassuring to jnow that that shouldnt start them eating them. Dissapointing not to get to eat the first one tho lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by