1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First batch, day 18: Do the embroyos become less active?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chson, Dec 22, 2016.

1. chson

chson New Egg

Dec 22, 2016
    I candled them at day 16 and they were extremely active. I understand on day 18 it's difficult to see anything but I see no movement at all. Also there was a heat spike over night which really concerns me. There have been heat spikes before but I always saw movement afterwards.

1 person likes this.
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    As they get closer to hatch, the movement does slow down b/c they don't have as much room to move. How high did your heat get up to? What day are they on? Have you gone into lock down yet? Have you turned the heat down? Some folks turn the heat back a degree when they go into lock down. I've noticed heat spikes are fairly common around day 7 and day 14. I believe that when ever the chicks have a jump in metabolism, that can happen. Doesn't make sense, with the bator being thermostatically controlled, and the heater cycling on and off, but, i've learned to watch for it.

3. chson

chson New Egg

Dec 22, 2016
    Thanks, that's good to know. I can't go into lockdown because my DIY cooler incubator shares eggs with a second batch that's 8 days younger. I will try to keep the heat a degree lower.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Don't drop the temp if you have a younger batch. That could do irreparable harm to them. Keep it where it is supposed to be. I believe it's 99.5 for forced air, and 101 for still air. Go double check my numbers at the learning center.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  5. chson

chson New Egg

Dec 22, 2016
    Roger that. Good news, I candled the first batch again and saw some movement. Resilient little buggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by