First Batch = Goners ~~ Need Incubator Advice for Second Go Round!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks_N_Horses, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have a Hova-Bator model 1602N

It was given to me with only a couple times being used before I got it.

I ruined my first batch of eggs when the temp. went to high and then the next day we had storms and the power went off for hrs. I woke up this morning to stinky eggs in the bator! I am so upset, they are all bad :-(

Any advice for this incubator? I really want to be able to hatch out eggs! I am left to sticking them under my one broody hen and she is already got plenty.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    First of all clean out youre bator really well then let it air dry all day.
    then after its all clean and dry and set up put it all back together again find a good steady enviroment and start it running again. run it for at least sevrel hours . proceed from there. Good luck

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I just bought one of these on my lunch hour... Why did your temperature spike?

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I had the same prob. lost 49 eggs [​IMG] Going to try again tho, and installed a forced air unit

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I have no idea. It happend during the first 24 hr. incubation. Went up to 107 and I don't know for how long.

Is this a still air bator? I only have one thermometor in there. Is that enough? I so don't know what I am diong [​IMG]

6. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Could your wafer be bad?

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:My what?

8. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    The round metal disk in your thermostat.....assuming you are using an ether wafer thermostat.

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    How would I know if it is bad?

10. BirdBrain

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    It may have a microscopic leak. You wouldn't know unless you bought a new one and it worked fine. Many here have recommended replacing it yearly. Having said that, it is possible for them to be bad straight out of the box.

You can buy it here http://dblrsupply.pinnaclecart.com/products/GQF_T_7_Thermostat_Wafer_pack_of_2-565-540.html
    or
    probably anywhere they sell poultry supplies (mail order or internet). I have tried to locate them at feed stores and they offer to order them in for me. [​IMG] As long as you are ordering you might as well get a 2 pack and save shipping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by