1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First batch of Bantys are here!!!!Question pg 5!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Attack Chicken, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yesterday I set a batch of 25 bantams eggs in my LG still air incubator with a turner. The eggs include 1 Columbian Wyandotte, 5 Blue-laced Wyandottes, 5 Sliver-laced Wyandottes, 5 Mille Fleur OEGBs, 5 Wheaton OEGBs (I think one of the Blue-laced is really a Wheaton), and 4 Spangled OEGBs. The eggs are around 5-10 days old so I'm still hoping to get some to hatch out of these. At my school we also have bantam wyandottes and a few OEGBs in the incubator that were just set today. At home the temp is around 100-101 degrees( I'm trying to get to 99.5-100). If anyone has any tips on hatching banty eggs please let me know [​IMG] These are supposed to be from good blood lines and have show quality parents. So if there is anything I can do to make sure they hatch please let me know [​IMG] I'm so excited about hatching these!!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  2. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Also another question... What day should I candle to see if their good or not? I was thinking maybe day 5?

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Yes, by day 5 or 6 you should be able to tell if they're growing. I have banties, and the only trouble I have ever had it is that sometimes the chicks have a hard time getting out of the shell, especially out of eggs from hens that have recently started laying, since their eggshells are sorta thick and tough.

4. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just candled the eggs to make sure they didn't have any cracks or something wrong with them. When I did this I noticed that some of the eggs shells are speckled when the light in on them. Is this a bad sign?Are they bad eggs? I seen some with the embryo starting in just a few but none of them were speckled. Anyone else had this? And what causes it?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Still air bators should be 101.5-102 degrees. Are the speckles on the outside of the egg? If not, you could be looking at meat spots/flecks. That can be an issue during incubation. OR could be tiny bubbles from a blown air cell. Another bad thing. Not sure what you're actually seeing.

6. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The incubator is running around 100-101 now. Here are some of the pictures I took of the speckled eggs. Over half of them are speckled [​IMG] I hope these help.
    One the first pic the few dark spots are just dirt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Those are porous eggs. They can still hatch, but lose moisture faster than if they were not porous.

8. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I had some d'Uccle eggs and my porous one was the one that hatched [​IMG]

9. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok Thanks! I was a bit scared lol...

10. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Today is day 6 for the banty eggs. I candled all 25 of them today and over half aren't showing anything [​IMG] I ended up with 11 out of 25 eggs that had veins showing and some had embryos. I have 3 Silver laced wyandottes and 3 Blue laced developing. Out of the Old English Game Bantams only the Mille Fluers are developing. So it comes out to:

0/1 CW
    3/5 for SLW
    3/5 for BLW
    0/5 Wheaton OEGBs
    0/5 Spangled OEGBs
    5/5 Mille Fluer OEGBs

I was really hoping for atleast 2 of each of the Wheaton and Spangled [​IMG] I will candle at day 12 and throw out all the eggs that don't show developing and hope the ones that are will survive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by