First batch of chicks. (pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fivepointeschef, Feb 28, 2012.

1. fivepointeschef

fivepointeschef New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    Detroit MI
    These are my first chicks. I ordered them from efowl febuary 10. They emailed me yesterday at 6pm that they were sent out and I recieved them from their hatchery in Denver today (tuesday) at 1. All arrived alive and they are quite vigourous as well.

I received 6 jumbo cornish X
    5 aoustrolop
    5 slw
    5 glw
    5 black giants

Expecting 5 pekins too from them in mid march.

Great service and product will order from them in the future.

[​IMG]
    Dog pile...

[​IMG]
    Fresh out the box. (couldnt figure out how to rotate the pic, sorry)

2. fivepointeschef

fivepointeschef New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    Detroit MI
    Thinking about putting them on pine shavings tomorrow,

3. TheRookie

TheRookie Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are only a day or so old, I wouldnt have them on newspaper, it can cause them to go spraddle legged. Also if you put them on shavings, cover it with paper towels at first til they learn that its not food.

4. fivepointeschef

fivepointeschef New Egg

Feb 25, 2012
    Detroit MI
    Yeah i considered starting them on just paper towel but my brooder is like 6x4 feets so it seemed like a waste of pthe stuff. figured newspaper cant hurt for 24 hours.I guess i could transfer them to a 50 gal tote lined with paper towel, Yeah thats what ill do. Thanks

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    You could put a temporary divider in your brooder for the first week or so. It will help keep it warmer too. This is what I do. My brooder is 8' x 3'. I will give them about 3' x 3' for the first week. During that time there wiil be pine pellets in the bottom covered by several layers of paper towels. When the paper towels get dirty I pick up the dirty one and there is a clean layer underneith. After about a week the paper towels are eliminated and the divider removed. I will have 18 - 20 chicks in my brooder his year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by