First batch of eggs ever starting today!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rlwt, Jan 19, 2012.

1. rlwt

rlwt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    I'm very excited to say I got my buff orpingtons in the mail today and they are in the incubator. Don't know how well this will go given this is my first time and they were mailed to me but they didn't seem too cold in the box and they are tucked away with everything closed up tight. Really excited to see what happens with them. Wish me luck and join me if you're starting soon!

2. lagunitas

lagunitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2011
    how exciting! BO chicks are so cute. good luck with your hatch!!

3. rlwt

rlwt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Well it's day four in the incubator and the eggs seem to be doing okay. I've had some over worrying issues with temperature but it seems to have evened out and I now have a working hygrometer in there to keep track of humidity. I feel like the eggs are quickly becoming my babies despite the fact that they have not hatched and I don't even know if they will. Tomorrow or Tuesday I'll candle the eggs and check to see how/if they are coming along. I'm very curious to see what they end up looking like.

I'm going to make my own candler using a table lamp and a small cardboard box hopefully that will do just fine. Any suggestions on what to look for with candling? I know I should see some vessels at the 5-7 day point, anything else to keep track of?

4. LaurenV

LaurenV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    There should be a dark circle in there, that should be the eye. If they aren't that far along, there should be a dark spot on the yolk.

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    We should get some hatch buddies..I set some last night, and the morning before. So, we will be hatching right around the same time. Anyone else just set some eggs? Let's go!
    Oh, and ..rlwt... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  6. rlwt

rlwt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Sounds fun. What type of chickens are you hatching?

7. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    i just started mine 2 day a go and this is my 1st time and so far i love it [​IMG]

8. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    i will become hatching buddies with you its my 1st time and could use a buddy [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  9. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Yaay, hatch buddies. I am hatching some EE's, and some Australorps..

What are you all hatching? I am also getting some pure Ameraucana eggs coming this week..by Tues. at the latest I hope.

10. Cynthia12

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Anyone else want to be hatch buddies for some eggs they just set, or are going to in the next couple of days? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by