First batch of eggs for the year are doing great!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenlynn4, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I set 6 silkie eggs 4 days ago and all are growing. I also set 9 cochin eggs I got through the mail and I could see development for sure in 5 of them. the others were pretty dark and hard to tell. I have 14 more silkie eggs that I set the day before yesterday and I could already see some of them were starting to develope but I will candle them in a few more days. I just love my new bator! Firtility on the first set of eggs is 100% so the boys are still doing there job! LOL JEN

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Now what kind of new bator did you get. I know i must have missed that.

3. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    Its a brower top hatch. It works great. I dont have to open it at all except to candle. It has a turnere and a fan as standard equipment and it seems to hold tems dead on all the time. I do have to add quite a bit of water to keep the humidity up but I do it through one of the holes on the top with a piece of fish tank air hose and a squeze bottle I have rigged up. It works great! Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

4. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    Oh and yes I know the temp is not up to 99.5 it was right when I put the eggs in the bator. And dont mind the stickers my kids put on there. LOL JEN

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Looks great. I got a cabinet bator this year as I am hatching a lot eggs at one time.

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Jen, I am so glad you eggs are doing well. I know how bad you felt loosing some to the severe weather. It sound like you are back on tract. I am still jealous of the Top Hatch. I so wish it had worked out for me when I ordered mine. I have been doing ok with the HovaBator but I hate having to open it all the time. I move my eggs to the TX-6 at the first opportunity. I will not be using it much from now on. I finally have enough little one at different stages to let them grow up and see what I have. Eggs are not far off now. Thank Goodness.

7. jenlynn4

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I do like the top hatch. Its so easy to use and if you put a "blanket" on it it holds temsp real well. I just made mine with material and bubblewrap. I cut a leinght of bubblewrap to go around the tub and then covered it with some material I had laying around. It works great! I cant wait to have some babies soon. JEN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by