1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First batch of eggs!!!! What to do with them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leah_c, Sep 22, 2010.

1. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My bantie OEG hen Pebbles, just laid her first "clutch" of eggs (4). My ? is, do we eat them or let her hatch them? She's 5 months old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    never laid eggs before?

I say eat them.

They will prob. get a little larger the more she lays, and those would look so cute on a plate

3. leah_c

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Nope, never laid before. Been waiting for them to start. My sister-in-law also said to eat them. I guess I didn't know she'd lay that many at first. Thanks for the input!

4. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    They say, unless you have a roo you don't have to worry about them being fertile so letting the eggs sit there is just a waste. Remember, your girls are serving you breakfast and not many other pets can do that! Eat well and have a sunnyside up day.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  5. leah_c

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    We have three roos and aren't one hundred percent as to when she actually laid them. They free range during the day.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Give 'em the float test: if they stay on the bottom, they're good. If they tilt upwards but don't float, they're still good. If they float, they're old.

Eat the first ones, they're just as tasty as any eggs. Save later ones for her to sit on, if she's broody. It's best to let the pullet mature a bit before trying to hatch any eggs.

7. Princess Poppycock

Princess Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    I say float test 1st, then if all goes well, scramble with some cheese and a bit of salt and pepper! [​IMG]

8. leah_c

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the info! Guess we'll try the float test!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by