First batch of meaties! I'm so proud of myself for taking the plunge

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Nofi's Nest, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Nofi's Nest

Nofi's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    North East Georgia
    I'm a newbie for the most part. I've had egg layers for a year and a half. I enjoy my chickens so much and I finally decided I need to take the next step to self sufficiency and ordered my first batch of Cornish crosses. Got them yesterday. I am excited about this new adventure and very proud of myself. I really appreciate all the information I have learned on this forum. Because of you all ,I know I can do this. Thanks![​IMG]

2. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG] yay for you!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Boondock Saint

Boondock Saint New Egg

Aug 20, 2010
    Connersville, Indiana
    We bought our first batch of chickens in March this year and between to good to pass up deals and people giving us there easter chickens, [because the darnedes thing they get bigger] we ended up with right @ 50 chickens... Well through a few death by random things we ended up with 36+ chickens. We sent 16 of them to freezer camp [most were Roosters] and that leaves us with 20 laying hens that are starting to lay now...

This has been the best experience of my life. I love our chickens... and the eggs are amazing so much better than the store, plus the chickens we harvested taste so much better than the store factory farm chickens...

We are getting ready to start raising cornish cross chickens ourselves and we are so excited about it.... a hint I heard: @5 days old start feeding the chicks for 12 hour and then let them go with out for 12 hours on this feeding schedule. If you do this it will keep them from having a heart attack for they grow so fast.

Mt Healthy hatchery has the best price on them that I have found $1.34 each @ 50. Please keep us informed how it goes.... Blessings to you [​IMG]

4. stanglover2001

Apr 29, 2010
    [​IMG]
    Acctually the best price I've paid is at Welp who charges 1.39 for straight run at 50-74 chicks and doesn't charge shipping. I got 25 and paid 39.00 exact and they sent 26, and none passed away. For 49 or less it was 1.56 each straight run.
    ETA: Looked at mt. healthy and the downfall is they acctually charge 1.58 for 50 and they don't do sex prefrence or certain amounts. I don't like having to choose from a list of how many to buy. I have looked at several different hatcheries and even when they have cheaper chicks they charge out the butt for shipping.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  5. Nofi's Nest

Mar 30, 2010
    North East Georgia
    I want to start raising our own cornish crosses too. I'm not sure about the best way. I know the crosses dont live long. Are you crossing cornish and rocks or what. That is my next step. Been trying to do research. This whole thing is an experiment. I would love to "grow" our own.[​IMG]

6. stanglover2001

Apr 29, 2010
    Well for Cornish Rocks you can't breed any 2 breeds and get what you can buy from a hatchery. Cornish rocks are the best as far as feed to weight conversion in a short amount of time, but you can do Dual Purpose breeds and feed for longer but you still can't out do the Cornish Rocks. I'm butchering the 17 I have left tomorrow and Sunday. Then next weekend I'm butchering my 17 week old DP excess roosters.

7. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    [​IMG] Isn't it a great feeling? Congrats on your newest adventure, I made the plunge this March and I'm ordering a fall batch next week.

8. Nofi's Nest

Mar 30, 2010
    North East Georgia
    Most of my chickens are from Ideal too. The cornishx are from them as well. I'll have to post some pics to my page soon. All of my chickens have been very friendly also.

9. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Best prices I've found was at Schlech Hatchery.

www.schlechthatchery.com/index.htm.

Jumbo Cornish Crosses
    Females 80 cents
    Straight Run 88 cents
    Males 98 cents

I just received and order today. Very healthy and active with no losses. I ordered 25, got 27. And very reasonable shipping charges.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  10. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Quote:I think the link is wrong, its is disabled. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by