First big rain - watching poultry outside

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gryeyes, Oct 24, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It started to rain yesterday, has rained all night, and it's still raining. Very windy, too.

I opened the front room curtains (they're sheers anyway, but I wanted a clear view) to watch the chickens and ducks that are actually out there in the front yard.

Of course the Cayuga ducks are hysterically happy. LOTS of running, and standing up to flap wings.

The chickens haven't come out in a flock, just in ones and twos. Mostly they're staying in the back yard under the trees. But I've watched the RIR and a BR brave the wind and rain to come forage in the front yard. Then they disappear again, back to the back yard.

I hear the roosters only in the back yard. The dominant, large fowl rooster, Carl, crows from within the coop. He's no dummy! Rooster feathers just look sad when they're wet. He's proud.

The covered back porch really doesn't offer any shelter with all this wind. There's also a gap between the porch and the house, which means water just pours off the roof onto the adjoining back step and between the two structures. The wind blew over the small yard umbrella I keep up all the time (shade in the summer, supposedly for rain in the winter...) in one spot of the run. The wind took it to the corner of the chicken run where the people gate is open (I leave it open except at night). So the birds have to use their Alternate Poultry Access Point next to the main coop.

Many of the chickens are in the penned area under the A-Frame coop, out of the rain, just hangin' out.

I think it's more the wind than the rain which is keeping them from foraging in the yards as usual. That's my guess; the BR and RIR tried to face into the wind as much as possible. When the wind changed and their feathers blew backwards, they'd turn again and shake them to put them back down.

Just a nice way to spend a rainy Sunday: watch my chickens (and Thelma and Louie the ducks).

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I think you're right and it's the wind bothering them more than the rain. Mine love to get out in the rain and look horrible, but they sure do have fun!

3. Kyhen

Kyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Hart Co., Ky
    We finally got a little rain tonight. It has been so long, my flock don't know what rain is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by