First big unexpected loss

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CluckCluck18, Jul 20, 2011.

1. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    My 14 month old french marans, Betty just died in my arms. She was fine when I left the house for work Tuesday morning and when I got home Tuesday night she was lethargic with pale comb, wouldn't eat or drink. It's awful hot these days in Florida and thought maybe she had heat stroke or was feeling sick from her molt which started about 2 weeks ago.(She's black and heavily feathered) Brought her inside...cool bath, fan, electrolyes, etc. Let her sleep inside for the night...maybe a tiny bit better. Very early this am, poop that looked like eggs, sticky, gooey. Still not taking fluids on her own or eating. Maybe egg bound? Warm, soapy baths, distilled mineral oil into vent, examined her inside but couldn't feel any egg. Did get out yellow, green liquid poop. Worse by afternoon, very lethargic, sleeping but didn't seem in great distress. Went to get her for another warm soak and give her some fluid and WAY worse, yelled out 2 times, flopped around several times and died in my arms 20 mins later. No other troubles...no worms, mites, etc. Eating organically, free ranging in my backyard with 5 others who thank goodness all seem fine! You guys on this site have been a Godsend to me and I guess I just was wondering what you thought might have happened and what could have been done in addition to what I tried. Was planning to take her to the vet in the morning......I feel like I underestimated how sick she was...what did I miss?? I've only been at this for 14 months and just not sure....had this little one since 2 days old. :(One more stupid question....what should I do with her??? Can I bury her or do I have to do something else? Do I have to report these kinds of things?
    I've seen alot of these kinds of posts lately and it is so sad. I'm a pretty tough girl in the world but when it comes to my animals, I'm just a mess. [​IMG]

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this....wasn't sure. Thanks again..

2. boxermom&nowchicks

boxermom&nowchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Cold Spring, KY
    So sorry for your loss. I have no idea what could have happened to your girl, it sounds like you did everything you could do for her. I'm sure someone will be along with some ideas for you. I don't have much experience at these things, being new to chicken keeping.
    sorry again, jenny

3. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    YOu did all u could. I am so sorry.......I cannot think of anthing I'd have done otherwise.
    Feel better, it just happens and sometimes we do not get a reason for thing like this.[​IMG]

4. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm sorry you had to go through this. I honestly can't tell you what she died from, but whatever it was, it took her very quickly. Even a crop impaction wouldn't have brought her down that fast.

Hopefully someone will come along who can tell you more. Again, my condolences.

5. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    These things are happening real fast in this heat. Sorry for your loss.

There is a Poopology post either here or on the web that has lots of pictures. The yellow/green was probably either undigested food or a liver problem. The yellow in the stool means one thing. The yellow in the urates points to something different. Google chicken poop pictures and see what comes up.

If you haven't wormed you flock in over 6 months it might be a good time to do so. Worms can do a lot of damage to the internal organs. Or you can take a stool sample or two into a vet and ask for a fecal float. But it may just be that something else was going on entirely.

Again, sorry [​IMG]

6. CluckCluck18

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    Thanks alot for the good suggestions....I always check that great poop post on BYC....also heard that the darker green poo is a sign from not eating and I could only get liquids into her for the last day. I'm trying to keep my chickens organic and they get Verm-ex 3 days per month. Your idea of a fecal float is a good idea, though and I would know for sure. Do you think I should give them something stronger? What do you use?[​IMG]

7. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    I have used Eprinex and Panacur (Fenbendazole - goat wormer at TSC). Eprinex is one you drop onto the skin on the back of the neck--easy as pie with a helper.
    The Panacur has to be mixed into the sole source of drinking water for 2 days. I lock the girls up for this (no free range where they could get into other sources of hydration), so if its hot where you are you should wait until the weather changes. I've heard you can give each bird an individual dose instead of adding to water--but someone more knowledgeable about that would have to tell you how much for each bird.

When worming, do it again a week to 10 days later to kill any new larva that hatches (since it doesn't kill the eggs). I've also been told to switch wormers each time so the parasites don't build up a resistance to the wormers.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Greenish/yellowish poop is usually a possible sign of infection and from the way it sounds, it was set in...meaning even if you treated with a powerful antibiotic such as baytril, I dont think your bird couldve recovered. Sorry for your loss.

9. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    so sorry for your loss,everytime i think i figured chicken problems out something new pops up, best wishs to u

10. CluckCluck18

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    Thanks you guys, for all the love and support and help with problem solving. The more I read and think about what went on with Betty I think it was an infection and maybe egg peritonitis. I guess I'll always wish I could have caught something sooner and helped her more. My girls get alot of attention and TLC but I will be watching them like hawks! If I didn't have BYC to rely on I don't know what I would do.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by