First bloody egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Girl, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    First bloody egg!!! Ok y do chickens lay bloody eggs? And what happens if you eat them? The type of chicken that laid it is a leghorn pullet. And can a wound play a part in bloody eggs?

Chicken Girl

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I assume you mean blood on the outside of the egg? It happens sometimes, especially with new layers. It's just a blood vessel rupturing in the laying process. Nothing to worry about unless it's copious amounts of blood. The eggs are fine to eat.
    This may help you:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

3. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    I have 8 hens (8 of 10) laying that are 25 wks and I'd say probably 50% of the eggs have blood spots inside. We just go ahead and eat them. There have been 3 eggs with some kind of weird foreign looking matter in them. I feed those back to the chickens.

edited to add inside

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Does the foreign matter look like a tiny bit of meat? Meat spots, same explanation as the blood spots. Harmless.

5. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    It was in the in side of the egg. It looked all most like a vain but it was not in the nest that long. At the most it was in there a day! And i know that it takes longer then a day for a baby to grow in it. And there was no hen on the eggs and no body in the box. So yeah! lol I just wanted to know y that hapens! THANKS!!!

Chicken Girl

6. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    Quote:Does the foreign matter look like a tiny bit of meat? Meat spots, same explanation as the blood spots. Harmless.

It was about pea sized and firm. So it was okay to eat?

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

It was about pea sized and firm. So it was okay to eat?

I wouldn't expect a meat spot to be as large as a pea, but that's not to say it can't happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by