First bloody egg!

Chicken Girl

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Wisconsin
First bloody egg!!! Ok y do chickens lay bloody eggs? And what happens if you eat them? The type of chicken that laid it is a leghorn pullet. And can a wound play a part in bloody eggs?

Chicken Girl

I have 8 hens (8 of 10) laying that are 25 wks and I'd say probably 50% of the eggs have blood spots inside. We just go ahead and eat them. There have been 3 eggs with some kind of weird foreign looking matter in them. I feed those back to the chickens.

edited to add inside

Last edited:
Quote:
Does the foreign matter look like a tiny bit of meat? Meat spots, same explanation as the blood spots. Harmless.

It was in the in side of the egg. It looked all most like a vain but it was not in the nest that long. At the most it was in there a day! And i know that it takes longer then a day for a baby to grow in it. And there was no hen on the eggs and no body in the box. So yeah! lol I just wanted to know y that hapens! THANKS!!!

Chicken Girl

Quote:
Does the foreign matter look like a tiny bit of meat? Meat spots, same explanation as the blood spots. Harmless.

It was about pea sized and firm. So it was okay to eat?

Quote:

It was about pea sized and firm. So it was okay to eat?

I wouldn't expect a meat spot to be as large as a pea, but that's not to say it can't happen.

Back
Top Bottom