First Broodies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chixmaidservice, Apr 2, 2015.

1. chixmaidservice

chixmaidservice Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2013
    I am looking for suggestions on grafting hatchery chicks onto broody hens. I have my first hens to go broody vying to prove who is the most devoted to the care of the golf balls I have assigned them. My local feed store will be getting in chicks on 4/13, and our weather seems to be cooperating for the babies to be outdoors. I work 2nd shift so planning on making the switch at 11pm when I get home- would love any suggestions for success- am only going to get 4-6 chicks so each hen will get 2-3. It is funny that the broodies are my 2 Marans, one black copper and one splash. Are Marans good mothers?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Most any truly broody hen will be a good mother. Simply slip the chicks under the mama during the night; it usually works. Best if mama has been broody for at least a week or two. Good luck!

3. chixmaidservice

chixmaidservice Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2013
    Ok, so to update this and ask politely for more suggestions... my two broody hens have whittled down to one. She is hardly ever off her nest of golf balls, and when she is she is funny to watch. She makes a tut- tut sound the whole time and rushes around like me when I am running late for something. She has been sitting almost 3.5 weeks- so today I got my peeps as soon as they came from the post office- 4RIR,2 americana- and thought I would try to slip them under her directly- she did not seem enthusiastic, and took a couple hard pecks at the dear puff balls. Not at all how I hoped it would go. The peeps are now safe inside, eating well, drinking, napping under the heat lamp. Can I try to install them under her highness again tonight or did I screw the whole adoption up w/ my hastiness?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by