First Broody hatching experience/watch 'em grow!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Animalian, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I lost one hen to dogs, another to prolapse, which broke my heart [​IMG]

Then bought a new hen who had been kept with a rooster and though "what the hey!" and put her first eggs laid here under my first time broody girl. I assumed she wouldn't last the distance but gave it a shot anyway.....

Turns out my Echo is a very determined broody! I have to get her off to eat or she just won't! Didn't notice till day three when she looked "odd" so I decided to weigh her! Luckily she is very tame and has been letting me move her, hand feed special food with vitamins and candle her eggs every day without much complaint. She was also letting the other girls muscle in and lay their eggs in her nest up till day 14 when I decided to separate her!

Tonight, 10pm 21Oct, day 19 of incubation, I had a 'feeling' and went out and had a candle. ONE had internally pipped already! Another I SWEAR I can see the air sac being "flicked" so I assume that ones trying to get through and the third is just rolling around!

So now I will be checking on her every now and again through the night because I won't be sleeping anyway!

YAY Ameraucana x D'uccle babies!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I will keep you posted as events unfold!!! Then we'll have to name them, and PRAY they are not roo's!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Good luck!

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Good Luck - [​IMG]

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Good luck, watch out for those broodies:

[​IMG]

5. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    it's 24hrs since I first noticed one moving around in the air sac and there's still no external pip. They're all still moving around a lot. Should I be worried?

Oh and Echo seemed a LOT more upset when I moved her today, maybe she's heard them peep? I haven't yet

6. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    WE HAVE A BABY!!! [​IMG]

His pip
    [​IMG]

His shell
    [​IMG]

And his cuteness!!!!! Hoping that long fuzz on his head will end up as a head poof like his dad's!!!
    [​IMG]

The egg on his left is unfertile, the clean one on his right looks developed but not moving much, but the one his right with poop on it has internally pipped tonight! So I'm looking forward to meeting him/her tomorrow!!

[​IMG]

7. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    What a cutie - My broody is due Tuesday.. These pics are making me more and more excited!!!!

8. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    very cute
    keep us updated

9. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    We have siblings!!!

This is the 1st chick all fluffed out

[​IMG]

Here they are with surrogate broody mumma Echo

[​IMG]

And THEY HAVE NAMES! BB (black beak) and Pinky (pink beak) because that's the only way I can tell them apart! Hopefully the last one will hatch tonight!

[​IMG]

10. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    cute chicks pretty hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by