First Broody Hen - a couple ?s

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mom2jedi, May 29, 2010.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ok, so my 7 month old white rock is broody. I don't have any fertile eggs for her to hatch, not sure if hubby will let me get a couple yet. Also thought about getting a couple chicks to put under her, don't know if he's okay with that either yet. My questions are...

If I don't break her of it, how long should I wait before I give her chicks?

If I do, what's the best way, I don't have a dog kennel. I do have a cat carrier and a guinea pig cage I could use.

If I go the hatching eggs route, I need to get them ASAP right?

Thanks!

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I can't really help with the breaking because I've only had one broody so far and I went to a neighbor (no roos here) and got two fertile eggs for her to hatch. [​IMG] It took me about a week to get the eggs and she sat long enough for them to hatch, so she sat for roughly 28 days. I've heard of plenty of people here getting day olds and putting them under broodies and removing infertile eggs. I would think I'd wait close to the 21 days so that it seems like a normal cycle of hatching to her.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I only waited 10 days +/- to put day olds under my BO. If you go that route do it at night it seems to work better that way.

4. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I never put chicks under my broodys, BUT.. I did try breaking them of their broodiness. It didn't work. One sat on pine chips for 6 weeks before giving up. A few months ago, I had 2 broodies, and decided to let them set on eggs. The night before they hatched, a third one joined them. She mothered the babies as well as the other 2 did. I have also read on here of broodies stealing other hens chicks- so I would guess you could put chicks under tham at any time.

5. ls

ls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    I've been able to cure the broodiness in my hens by putting them in a separate cage, similar to what you have. My understanding was that as long as she was safe, plenty of food and water, but not extremely comfortable, she would eventually break of it. It has worked every time for me in a matter of 1-3 days. I just a have a simple wire cage that I use - no nesting materials. I usually leave the hen in there until she no longer puffs up at me and gives that warning "cluck cluck" or either lays an egg. If she lays an egg, I know she's cured! Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by