First Broody Hen Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RoosterDon, Oct 14, 2014.

1. RoosterDon

RoosterDon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    Austin Texas
    [​IMG]

Mother Elmeretta and new baby. She hatched yesterday. Last night I checked under her and one of the three eggs was broken open. Looking further it was a perfect zipping, but we could not find or hear a chick (it was dark and Elmeretta would not budge). She hopped out this afternoon to get a treat and I heard the chirping. How fun. This was our first successful broody hatch (if that is what you call it).

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    So cute! My hen hatched out her first brood in June and I was like a kid in a candy store. I drove my son and boyfriend crazy for a week wanting them to come look at the chicks. Its exciting isn't it?

3. RoosterDon

Jul 19, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Yep MTN, it is awesome. We have incubated hatched quite a few now and one hen last year tried to hatch but was not successful. We are empty nesters with a full nest now. :)

4. RoosterDon

Jul 19, 2014
    Austin Texas
    So, we have two other chicks that are 2 weeks old. Should we pull the new chick and put it with the other two? Or leave her with her mother? Very torn here between letting nature do its thing versus potential predators out in the fenced in yard. It is too difficult to fully protect the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by