first broody hen- I have questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jessica32, Jul 10, 2010.

1. jessica32

jessica32 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    My malay hen just recently went broody. I have a couple of questions. First of all should I candle the eggs? I did it when I incubated myself with an incubator but, am not sure if the hen needs me to do this or if she can figure out good eggs from bad on her own. Second question- how long will she stay broody? I waited a couple of days after I noticed she was broody to set eggs under her as I wanted to collect the eggs I wanted to hatch. Will she give up before it is hatch time because of this delay? Third question- can an hen's egg shape change? My broody hen layed light brown eggs with noticeable blood spots on the shell that were pointed on one end before. Now I have eggs with spots but, they don't have the same pointed shape as I noticed before from her. If the spotted eggs aren't hers, I don't know who they belong to and there are no eggs with the former shape she layed. Would she go broody without laying any eggs herself? Thanks for any info.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    HI, I am not an expert but will share my experience............
    She will know which eggs are bad...............I don't candle because I do not want to upset the hen.
    Do not worry if she is a few days off.she should stick with it till the end. My last broody set a month.hatched 11
    and left 6 eggs...........
    My hens eggs are not identical in shape.
    Have fun and trust mother nature.[​IMG]

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've had hens broody for 5 weeks before they hatched any babies. I gave them some of our birds' eggs, then took them out on day 15 to give them shipped eggs, and they stuck with the new eggs til they hatched. Broodies are determined little things.

My hens have all stopped laying eggs a few days before I notice that they're broody. I don't know if that's what yours did, but that's been my experience. And I've had them change shape in eggs, though the one that I know always lays a torpedo egg never has changed...

I do candle and throw out the bad eggs, just because I don't want them to break and nasty up the other eggs. I've never had a hen toss eggs out of her nest. Maybe they just know I'll do that for them. [​IMG]

4. jessica32

jessica32 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I have one more question. One egg broke. The others now look a little dirty but are dry. Should I start over with clean eggs, clean off the ones I have or just leave them?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Leave them. You don't want to wash them, as that will take off the bloom and leave the egg more susceptible to bacteria.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by