First broody hen (silkie) couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cackle, Feb 13, 2009.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have a 8 month old silkie who seems to have gone broody today. She has been in the nest since early this morning. We only have 3 silkies hen and usually get 1-3 eggs from them a day. I am trying to decide if I should take the 12 I have inside and put them under her or put some of our RIR and BR/RIR mix eggs under her. If I hatched silkies I would sell or give away most of them. RIR or black sex links I would keep to add to the flock. Or I could always put a few of each which might be fun. How many eggs can a silkie sit on? Any opinions?

My husband said we should wait until tomorrow and see if she is still in the nest box. If she stays in the nest box should I move her to a seperate pen? I have one that is 8x8 that I can use for that purpose? And if so at what point. Also if I leave her where she is and mark the eggs with a sharpie how large a mark do you usually make?

All suggestions welcome.

2. pottersway

pottersway Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Seagrove, NC
    8 months old is a bit early for a silkie to go broody and stay that way. Don't be surprised if she abandons the eggs after a couple of weeks - especially if you are having cold weather.
    I would give her another day or two and see what she does. If she stays on the nest leave her there. I have tried to relocate silkies before, and they just abandon the eggs.
    Silkies can usually sit about 10 - 12 eggs - mixed sizes. I have used mine to hatch their own eggs as well as a few larger eggs.
    This is just from my own experience with my silkies - I'm sure others might have different opinions or experiences.

Good Luck!!
    Silkie mom

3. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    if you leave her in a nest box with other birds she will be trying to hatch them while the other birds are trying to lay in that same box it wont work the eggs would get cracked and pooped on also she might get the eggs mixed up and start sitting on the wrong ones.

4. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Yesterday I moved 8 RIR- BR mix under her. I was not sure if I should mark them with sharpie or not and there were only two eggs under her. Later when I went out to check on her I noticed poop on the egss. Will this play a factor in hatching?

I am completely new to all of this. Is there a link anywhere on what to do with a broody hen with options as there seem to be a couple ways to handle the situation? Also seems that silkies and other hens need to be treated differently.

Thanks again,

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by