First broody hen, what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flockof4, May 29, 2010.

1. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    We have our first broody hen and I am wondering if there's anything we can do to help the process along. It's our Buff Orp and she is about 6 months old. She started acting "funny" about a week ago and today she didn't leave the nesting box after she laid. Any suggestions or is this something we just have to wait out.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You can separate her from the rest of the flock in a broody pen with food and water nearby. That way no other hen will be able to bother her, scare her away from her nest, add eggs to the clutch, etc. Do make sure the broody pen is comfortable (in the shade), and secure.

p.s. I forgot to ask...these are fertile eggs she's sitting on, right? You do want her to hatch out a brood?

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  3. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    Not fertile eggs, we don't have a rooster.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Well, you need to get some fertile eggs for her to incubate, or put her in a "Broody Buster" to change her settings. See https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289 for details on that. If you want her to incubate fertile eggs, you can spend the time while you wait for them setting her up in her own little broody pen/house, somewhere separate with her own food & water supply. Try to make all her changes well after dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by