First broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shura, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Shura

Shura Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    Rockport
    So our buff cochin, Mongo, is broody for the first time. Actually, she has been broody for the last 2 week, but we stupdely let her remain in the coop, and she kept moving the clutch, then abandoned it for a new clutch. On Sunday we brought her inside the house and decided we were going to try to break her from being broody, but after some discussion decided to let her hatch a batch. So now she is sitting on 5 eggs, one of which is a duck egg just for giggles, in a basket with some straw in it by my side of the bed. My concern is, which has somewhat been put to rest by another thread, is that I didn't see her eat or drink or poop since before we put her on those eggs on Sunday. So in the last few days she has only ate some snacks that I brought her like cheese, some roast beef, a bit of yogurt, peach and pear. I do have water and feed with corn for her where she can see it and can reach it pretty easily, and newspaper around if she wants to get out and poop. But when I took her off the eggs today for a few minutes so she would eat, she just wanted to stay down as if she was still on the eggs. I'm not entirely sure what to do. She seems to be pretty content where she is, and i can't really set up a different place for her until hubby gets home on Friday. I am thinking of making some scambled egg for her later. I'm just slightly lost and seems like reading about what to do with broody ain't clicking in my head.

2. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:rockport, maine or some where else.

3. Shura

Shura Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    Rockport
    Rockport, Illinois

4. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I got one too. Another BYC member from my area gave me some BCM eggs for my Blue Splash Orp. We'll see how that goes. But I notices that my girl would not come off the nest at all. So I was taking her off once in the morning and once at night. I put her by the water and she drinks and then goes for the food. She shakes her feathers a few times while eating. And within 5-10 minutes is clucking to the nest. And bee-lines it back up there.

I guess I'll see in 21 days if it was all worth it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by