First broody hen.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flytpm, Jun 14, 2008.

1. flytpm

flytpm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Cookeville,TN
    I have my first broody hen, a bantam. She just started staying on the nest yesterday. She normally lays eggs with another bantam in the same box. Will the other hen change boxes or what and when do I start counting the 21 days til she hatches? There are two other bantam hens and a rooster in my 4 x 8 coop, will she and the chicks be ok with the others or do i have to move them when they hatch? Thanks for your advice.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Yay! I always think broody hens are fun. It's sort of like surprise presents that you get in 3 weeks when the chicks hatch.

Most broody mama's take good care of their chicks and will make the other chickens keep out of the way. Just make sure that yours isn't one of the rare ones that ignores the chicks after they are hatched. They should be able to stay in the same coop.

How many chicks do you want? Our broody bantam just hatched out 5, which was about all she could easily sit on. Choose how many eggs you want your hen to try to hatch, and use a pencil to mark on the shells. The other hen will probably still lay in the same box. So, each day you should lift up the broody and remove any eggs that aren't marked as her clutch. (gloves are handy).

The 21 days starts the day that the hen sits on the egg permanently, keeping it warm all the time.

What kind of bantam is she? Do you know?

3. flytpm

Apr 16, 2008
    Cookeville,TN
    They're Buff black-tailed Japs, or so I was told and they appear to be. Thanks for the advice.

4. flytpm

Apr 16, 2008
    Cookeville,TN
    She's only got a couple eggs now, so if there are 6 eggs in there and they're from both hens should they be fertile too since they're both with the rooster, or are just the setting hen's eggs fertile?

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    all the eggs have a fair chance of being fertile including the eggs from the other hens. just remember due to their short legs, breeding is flawed and fertility is lower than average, but i am sure u will have a great hatch.....post pics!
    edited to fix my spelling errors.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:I have no idea , BUT I have read several places best if you separate her from the other hens , that way you don't have to move her and her lil family once they hatch . I know I would NOT had wanted another [​IMG] pregnant woman in the same BED with me when I was delivering . LOL LMAO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by