First Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LazyGirl, Jul 14, 2008.

1. LazyGirl

LazyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    We are waiting on a few chicks from broody hen, day 15...
    She so far is just sitting on her eggs in the nest boxes. I have a lot of QUESTIONS!

Do i need to move her?
    Can the babies be with the other chickens (I have 25 hens and 1 roo)
    Should I raise them or let her?
    Also, the nest box is about 2-3 ft off the floor. Is she too high?

Thanks![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Mark the eggs she is sitting on. WHen she gets up someone will get in there and add to her stash. She may even go back to a different nest if hers is occupied. If you move her, do it at night. She is probably too high. Can you section off a part of the coop for her?

3. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I would move her and the eggs to a place all their own or section off an area of your existing area for her and the babies to stay for awhile. I personally have always been afraid that my roo would attack the babies or another hen would get to them while momma was eating or busy elsewhere. Just my opinion. If you choose to leave her in the box I would nail a board about 6 inches wide across the from leaving only the top open so as to keep the babies from falling out. That is a bit high for them to fall and not be injured. I would let her raise them, there is nothing cuter than watching a momma hen and her babies learning the ways of the world.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Should I raise them or let her? Let momma raise them. Moms can always do better. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by