First broody...leave her in the laying box, or move her?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jeffross1968, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So we have our first broody. She sat on some eggs yesterday and except for an hour this morning, has been on them since. Once we realized what was happening we added more eggs (within a few hours).

I know some people move a broody to her own area, and some just let them be. I'd like to hear from both groups.

Our set up is a 4x12 raised coop, with 3 laying boxes on the back, and 3 more on the side. We also recently enclosed the area beneath the coop (with machine cloth on all sides except the side of the existing run which is chain link) and cut a hole in the chain link fencing of the run for a "pass through". In each end of that area, we placed an old tire, covered it with a plywood tent, and filled it with hay. They have been using one of them as a laying box.

So we're now trying to decide if we should move her to that area, and close her off to the rest of the flock, with her own food and water. Issues...it's certainly not as secure as the coop. We've never had an incursion into the chain link run, and we buried the machine cloth of the new section into the ground a foot, but still...not as good as the coop. I've also read that moving them can break them of broodiness, which, obviously, we don't want to happen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually move mine, simply because I have too many young roosters around that would likely pick on newborn chicks.

If you do decide to move her, move her at night. Do it quickly and quietly, and she should be fine. :)

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains

Would there be any issues leaving her until the chicks are hatched?

4. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I've left broody hens in their box to hatch with the rest of the birds. The only issue was the eggs multiplying but I marked the hatching eggs and removed extras every day. When they hatched, I just waited for them all to hatch and moved the hen and chicks into a new area of their own. I sucessfully hatched around 30 chicks that way. As long as you keep a close watch on her they'll be ok. I tried to move a broody hen and she lost interest in the eggs quickly, but if the entire box can be moved it has worked everytime. One broody nested in an old cabinet I put in the coop so I lugged the whole thing out to the rearing pen and she sat tight inside. It was really heavy!!! But it worked!! Good luck and happy hatching!

5. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains

We're leaning towards doing the same thing....letting her sit with the flock, but moving her once they hatch. I have marked all the ones under her, and will check daily for unmarked ones.

Very exciting, LOL!

6. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I am in the process of building my 2nd broody house, I have a BO hen sitting on 14 eggs, she started with 9. I moved my first Broody Mama at the 2 week mark, and did a lock down of the Broody House and found I did not need to, she just snuggled in and only came out once for grass, bugs & to poop. I have food & water in for her, and I know she is eating & drinking, but I do not see any poop. [​IMG] On Monday we hatched our first baby chick, another yesterday & two today, I think there is one more egg, but am not sure. All 4 babies are cute & fluffy & are eating their chick start & drinking the water. Broody Mama #1 is a very good Mama to her babies.

[​IMG]

The Broody House I am building now will be narrow than this one, but longer. I use a wood pallet as the base, and build around it. Broody Mama #2 is due April 22nd. Some of my hens were picking at my 4 week chicks that I let in the main run, so I know I don't want babies in the main coop. But with all those eggs, and some being a week behind the original 9, I would like to keep her on lock-down to see if any of the later eggs will hatch. My hope is, that another hen will go broody in another week, and I can slip the extra eggs under that hen.

I guess it all depends on the personality & temperament of your other hens, as to, if you move her or keep here where she is.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by