First broody of 2015!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LRH97, Feb 19, 2015.

1. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Here's our broodie girl of this year. She's on day 11 and all 10 of her eggs are coming along nicely. She didn't pick very good timing though. It is COLD here in Southern IL. This is one of the few times I've felt the need to put a heat lamp over a broody. Oh well. Anyone else have "expecting" mommas?

[​IMG]

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I wish I did but my hens don't seem to want to go broody!

3. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Aw, poop. Oh well, the year's just getting started. I hope you get one to set! [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What a cutie.

I need her to come have a chat with my girls -- I am really hoping to luck out and have someone go broody in the next couple of months and then be lucky enough to have a successful "adoption" of some day-olds because I'd much rather have them broody raised than have to much about with all the work (and mess) of brooding myself. The Brahma that hatched out some chicks at the end of October has been toying with the idea this past week, so maybe she'll decide to commit.

5. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Oh, me too definitely! Stick eggs under the hen and let her go to town - - that's the easiest an most entertaining way to do it, if you ask me. She's a first timer. I'm always a little nervous for first time moms, but I've almost always had success (as far as mothering goes) with my BOs. I've had good luck with my Dark Brahmas as well. Hopefully your girl will decide she wants some little ones!

6. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Uh-oh. Looks like I may have a double whammy here. Second full day on the nest. Again, a first timer, but I've never had a Silkie change her mind once she has started! I'll be saving some banty eggs to put under her within the next couple of days. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Here's our newest "family!"

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon