First Broody.... Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tellynpeep, May 6, 2009.

1. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    My first girl has gone broody (on her nest in the woods!) I have some eggs in the 'bator I'd like to put under her. My question is: If the eggs are due in about a week, will she be OK hatching those? Or will she insist on sitting the full 21 days? She just started sitting on her nest yesterday. Oh... she is currently sitting on fake eggs, so she's not hatching any of her own. (She won't let the roo get near her anyway!)
    Thanks. I'd like to put a few eggs under her tomorrow, if you all think it's a good idea.

2. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I don't know if she will want to sit the whole 21 days or be ok after they hatch
    but you may want to move her out of the woods so nothing gets her

3. tellynpeep

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I set her up in a metal cage with lots of hay, food and water. I'll keep it closed at night. I tried putting her in the coop at night, and she was so anxious she wouldn't eat or drink and RAN straight to her nest in the AM. I decided this was less stressful, if slightly more risky, for her.

4. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    When my silkie went broody I stuck her in dog crate and put her in the garage
    I guess the cage will keep her somewhat safe-
    Can you put something around it so nothing can reach in ?

Hopefully someone who know lets you know if she can hatch the eggs that have been incubating-
    I put another birds eggs under mine but they were not incubated

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, she will be fine with that. I would stick some fake eggs under her to make sure she is sitting, before sticking the incubated eggs under her.

6. tellynpeep

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    She's already sitting on wooden eggs! I took her eggs away because they are not fertile, and I wanted to eat them! But as long as she's sitting....might as well put her to work, I guess.

That 's a good idea about moving the cage to a safer spot. I thought that might be too disruptive, but I will try it tomorrow.
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by