First broody silkies and LOTS of questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poultrycrazy, Apr 7, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    So i just got my silkies yesterday through the mail and the splash hen layed an egg in the box so i put it in there with her. Well i went out side and she layed a 2nd egg and she was sitting on them. About 5 hours later i went back out there and she was still on them and when i touched her she imediatly poofed up and started bitting me. I THINK I HAVE MY FIRST BROODY!!! She is with a blue silkie hen in a 2 by 4 foot pen with LOTS of bedding. My question is she is laying on the eggs like in the middle of the pen towards the side, will they be ok and hatch the eggs there?
    -Will she eat and drink on her own?
    -Should i do anything to help her?

I will put up pics tomorrow, and hopefully she will hatch a rooster cuz ours died during shipping.

2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    she will be fine. i have 5 silkies sitting at one time

3. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    So she will be fine on the floor? And shell eat and drink if she needs to?

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hens don't usually lay while broody. And any hen on a nest will hiss at you.
    I would wait at least two days of her consistently sitting on her nest before you mentally establish that you have a broody.
    And you may want to consider separating her from the flock to ensure that she doesn't get detracted of confuse her nest with another.

5. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    YES
    is she sitting in a nest or on the floor. she will get off the nest to eat and drink and stretch her legs, she knows when to go back...
    if it is not a nest you could make her one and move her quickly at nite and probably get away with it
    Silkies are wonderful
    i just had one hatch 6 polish chicks for me and they are so cute i started collecting more polish eggs to incubate but one of my other Silkies has just started getting that look in her eye [​IMG]
    so she will be hatching some polish as well.

6. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Quote:She kind of just made a little nest in the bedding on the floor and layed on them. When i touch her she does poof up and makes a quiet noise and tries to bite me. Since there cage is so small (2 by 4 ft) there nesting boxes are a box with two sections laying on the floor so is it even nessasary to move her?

7. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    i just din't know if she was actually " on the floor" with no bedding...
    if there is straw or something under her she will be fine..
    there needs to be some sort of bedding to help keep the eggs at the right temp or the dirt or cement or whatever your floor is made of will suck the heat out of your eggs
    Good Luck with your hatching.. [​IMG]

8. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Yes there are LOTS of wood shavings on the floor.

9. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    looks like you are good to go [​IMG]
    Good Luck!!!!!
    we expect an update in 21 days along with picx

10. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Haha okey dokey! i have pic of the cage and the broody, with her cage mate. Her cage mate is sooooo cute, idc if she is SQ or not she is the cutest thing and kind of dumb wich makes her even CUTER!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by