First Buckeye egg?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dekel18042, Oct 9, 2014.

1. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] I'm sending a picture of what I believe is my first Buckeye egg. I discovered a new egg in the nest boxes today, smaller than my established hens'.
    I ordered new chicks this spring and to round out my order added one buckeye as I had one space left. I have several breeds I would like to try on my wish list and the buckeye was the only breed available on my chosen shipping date.
    The other pullets have just started laying too, but they are all blue/green or dark egg layers so by process of elimination I figured this is the buckeye's. I was surprised. I thought it would be browner while this is almost pink.
    I like what I see of my one bird. She's beautiful, friendly and this is a beautiful egg, nice sized ( medium) for a first egg. In the future would like some more of this breed.

2. knittychickadee

knittychickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    I have had some Buckeyes that lay darker eggs but most seem to veer towards the lighter side of brown. Buckeyes have the best personality of any breed I have ever had, plus great for both eggs and meat. Nothing to not like about them :)

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Congratulations on that first Buckeye egg. The eggs will get larger, and probably darken a bit more as your hen matures.

4. JoshU

JoshU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Ada, Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by