First butchered turkey, pic included (fully dressed)

AhBee01

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
yo. ohio
This is our first time raising turkeys! We were given 5 in April, only 1 made it to butcher. He weighed in at 52 lbs. fully dressed. He was about 7-10 days old when we got him, that was April 17th, I believe. We butchered him tonight. My goodness, we didn't even think he was close to that weight.
I will freeze him, but wanted to know the best way to wrap him, we have a xx large zip lock bag!
Thanks and here is a pic, we are proud, and sad at the same time, he was so sweet. We almost didn't go through with it. He would have been butchered sooner, but every time we went to do it some emergency erupted, making today's task seem even harder, like things kept happening for a reason.
But this is what we raised him for, so the deed is done.

010-1-1-1.jpg

Nice looking bird. I buctherd my first two last winter and we brined one for 8 hours before we cooked it. The brined bird was very good. Probably the best I have ever eaten. My wife got the brine from Safeway.
Good question about freezer wrapper. I used a big black garbage bag. I'm sure there are better ways.

Wait...the BB are supposed to be processed at 12-16 weeks? I heard 20-24. Mine are coming up on 13 weeks now. I wasn't planning on processing until the week of Thanksgiving. Is that too long to wait?

I'm hearing conflicting info too!
Mine was around 20 weeks, I don't know exact age, as they were given to me. They were around 7-10 days old when I got them, and that was around April 10th! I just went and looked for my old post it was April 10,th! So I'm guessing closer to 22 weeks!
I saw a recipe for a brine and I will brine it before I cook it after it thaws!
I ended up wrapping it in the xxl ziplock bag. I hope that is good enough!
He is so huge, I hope it fit's in my roaster!
I will have to invite the entire neighborhood for dinner! LOL!

Last edited:
I don't even go by age when I butcher. I pick them up and if I feel a nice meaty drum stick and chest with very few pen feathers, it's time. Same with chickens.

Nicely done! That's one heck of a big bird. We'd have to invite half our little town to eat one that large!

Good idea to use the XXL ZipLoc bags. I have a vacuum sealer but haven't been able to find large enough bags. Thanks for the idea!

HOLY STUFFING BATMAN...

He is huge.. wow.....I bet he tastes good too..

I cant eat turkey anymore.. The round brown/blue eyes done got to me..
sad.png

We are having ham this Thanksgiving...
big_smile.png

The eyes got us too! We will try turkeys again, but we will buy them, and they will be heritage breeds! We will make a better pen and it will not be in with the chickens!

Back
Top Bottom