1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Calf Born at Our Place

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 1MrsMagoo, Oct 8, 2011.

1. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Well after waiting for what seems like an eternity, we finally got our first calf out of our dairy heifer Monday evening. Luckily, it was a little heifer and we named her Bootsie (per my daughter and mother's request). Here she is the morning after she was born....

[​IMG]

And here she was this afternoon.....
    [​IMG]

The birth went easy and fast and we didn't have to help a bit. She is healthy, sweet, and very curious....and we are very happy!

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Awww, its adorable!!! Congrats [​IMG] I love all the chickens in the background [​IMG]

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Congrats! Adorable little one. [​IMG]

4. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    oh my word what a cutie!!!!! i dont think ive ever seen a calf that color but hten again ive never seen many calves lol but it sure is beautiful and cute too!!

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Oh! so cute! [​IMG]

6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Aww! [​IMG] She is a adorable! Congratulations!

7. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Thanks everybody. Funniest thing was she was born in the evening right after the chickens went to bed for the night. So, the next morning when all 70 of them hauled butt out of the coop....boy was she ever surprised. She ran to the back fence and then slowly crept toward them with her head down.
    I got a picture of her checking out a couple of Buff Orpingtons: It was still dusk, so it isn't the greatest picture, but I had to try....
    [​IMG]

The chickens on the other hand will be pretty happy she is here. They'll have another source of yummy cow pies to dig through.

BTW, that brings up a funny story. My adult son, who is 23 was here to visit a couple of weeks ago. The second afternoon he was here he ran into the house to tell me my chickens were eating cow poo. I told him, no, they are digging for undigested oats and other goodies. He made this face then said, but a cow has 4 stomachs how in the heck is their anything undigested. I laughed then he went outside to get some pictures of this chicken poo party on his phone. He said the guys at work would never believe him without pictures....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by