First Candling Experience - Good and Bad

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jubaby, May 29, 2008.

1. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Today is day 6 for me, and I couldn't wait to candle my eggs any longer. I bought a surefire 6P flashlight at Cabelas the other day, but I wanted to wait because my eggs are Ameraucana and Marans, and most people say they are hard to see. Since I am a newby, I doubted I would see anything.

Surprisingly, I could see veining in my Ameraucana eggs. [​IMG]

Couldn't see any veining in the Marans eggs. I could faintly see the air sac in most of them. I'm afraid there might be blood rings in two, but I kept them in the incubator, because I'm just not sure. Nothing looked very definite to me those eggs.

Unfortunately, I did find one of my Marans eggs had a small crack in it and there was a drop of liquid coming out. So I removed that egg and cracked it in a bowl. It had an embryo in it and veining, so it was developing. So I have hope that maybe my other eggs are doing okay as well.

Sorry I couldn't take pictures, but I was by myself, and couldn't hold the camera, eggs and flashlight all at the same time. And I was afraid to take too long. As it was, the temp in my bator went down to 94 while I was candling, but was back up to 99.9 the next time I checked (about 30 minutes later). I hope the temp drop doesn't affect the eggs too much.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  2. PulletSurprise

PulletSurprise Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Salem OR
    HI. I have about a dozen maran eggs (that I got from 92caddy) in my incubator right now too. I pulled out 3 of them last night because 1 had a big crack and was leaking and the other 2 had continue "sweating" or "weeping" so I pulled them out. I'm not going to crack them open. I would rather not know what was in there. It was day 5 for them. I'm [​IMG] for your eggs! Good luck! Haven't candled yet, I read on one of the posts here not to handle them a lot for the first 7 days. So I'm waiting. I need to build a better candle box anyways. I'm using a priority mail box with my Milwaukee flashlight and it's not very stable. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by